Tuesday, December 28, 2010

From Photo to Art--Farrah Fawcett

One of the most popular non-nude pieces I have ever created is actually one of my oldest---a portrait of Farrah Fawcett.


This artwork was actually created when I was in college.  We were to create a drawing based on a photo of our choosing at the beginning of the quarter, and then reproduce it at the end.  I have no clue what happened to the first one, but I was pleased with the second.  So was my wife---this hangs in our rec room, and we have had several people ask for prints..


The drawing was based on Farrah's iconic Playboy cover from December 1978.  At the time, she was one of the most popular celebrities in the US, but had not yet posed nude (that came in the 1990's, also in Playboy).


I was really attracted to the tease pose used on the cover, and the way she wears the man's shirt very provocatively.  At the time, I was striving more for an artistic recreation of the original image, although later on my wife asked me to change the wine glass to a martini glass with green olive.  


Farrah's hair was all the rage back then, and I really tried to capture that in the artwork.  I also tried to overemphasize the smoothness in her legs, as I thought it looked like she was wearing nylon stockings, which are very sexy.


But, it always comes down to making the drawing look like the subject, especially when it is a celebrity. Everyone knows what the person looks like, and any mistakes or imperfections can ruin the art.  It must be recognizable. Judging by the feedback I've received, I think I achieved that.







No comments:

Post a Comment