Tuesday, May 17, 2011

On Birthdays...Lots of Them

Today is my birthday, my 51st to be exact.  I'm not looking for well wishes or anything, this post is more of a reflection.

30 years ago, I thought my life would be very different than it has turned out.  Regrets, as Frank Sinatra sang, I have a few (more than a few).  There are so many things that I would have changed "if I knew then what I know now."  But, I recently read a book written for incoming college freshmen, The Naked Roommate, by Harlan Cohen (very much recommended).  One thing I took away from Mr. Cohen is that "10% of things in college are bad, but 90% is awesome.  Problem is, we focus so much on the bad 10%, we forget about the awesome 90%."

This statement can be applied to life as well.  We have been given a lot of challenges in the past year or so, and,  even being an optimist most of the time, I have been down a lot.  But  this bit of advice can be taken to heart---most of life is pretty good, and if you focus on that, then you can get through all the crap.

I'm very luck to have a wife that supports my choice of art--not many spouses are willing to let their husbands draw strange, nude women--not only does my wife stand behind me, she is very instrumental and  always offers unbiased critiques.  I am very lucky!

So, I wish all of you the best for the rest of 2011 and beyond.  May you take what life gives you, and if it's lemons, make the proverbial lemonade.

5 comments:

  1. Vince, you will have this birthday wish whether you invited it or not. Happy 51st Birthday! The best is yet to come!!

    As far as the premise of the 10%, I learned that a long time ago with course evaluations of my university teaching. Invariably, one person in the class would not like me and would give me a crappy rating. I despaired over that one person way too much until I finally figured it out. Oddly enough, once I forgot about that one dissenter, the dissension disappeared. My last course evaluations were 100% positive.

    You reap what you sow.

    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so true, Carla, and thank you. You were my inspiration for this post. I have always admired how you have embraced life--my lord, beginning a nude modeling career took guts.
    You've been a great friend these past months, and I thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been a great friend these past months, and I thank you!


    Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Vincent! I've been following your blog since it started and I love your work. I can't wait to see what you do next!

    (And I live in hope that you'll be drawing our own Dr L in the future!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lin, I appreciate it. Dr L is very beautiful, both physically and as a human being, and I would be honored to have her included in my portfolio

    ReplyDelete