Tuesday, February 8, 2011

On Nudes and Non Models, Part 2

One of my great pleasures, as I said in last week's blog, is that I have the pleasure of illustrating many women who are not professional models, but still look great.  


I recently received this image from a former client. one of 3 colored pencil images I did for him of his wife.  My original scans when the job was completed were crap, and he was nice enough to send me new ones.  He's a part-time photographer, so he found some classic pinup images, and we recreated them with his wife as the subject.   


I have always had a desire to do more color pieces, and I find colored pencil extremely challenging.   I like graphite drawing pencils  because I like to create shadows by rubbing the graphite with my fingers, which helps me to achieve the nuances of the light and dark.  Can't do that with colored pencil--it's a gradual build-up of colors that can be very time consuming, very boring, but always rewarding in the end.  


NOTE:  My figure art website, www.erotic-pinups.com, will be temporarily disabled while I search for a new host and build a new site.  For now, please visit my Model Mayhem profile, or look for me on Facebook.  I will let everyone know when the new site is uploaded.  Thanks


2 comments:

  1. The difference between b/w and color is also a fascination to me. Which is better? It always depends on the subject, mood, purpose, etc., but now I know how you feel differently in the process of creation. It's not just about the product. Thank you for the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely correct, Carla, it is such a subjective choice. some artists like Olivia, Dave Nestler, and others do such great work in color, yet I feel much more comfortable with b/w, especially because of the way I work. I rub so much with my fingers, that I become a part of the piece. And I like the aesthetics of b/w.

    thanks for the wonderful comment!

    ReplyDelete