Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Work In Progress--Carlotta Champagne

While figure artists usually like to paint and draw many different models, they often find a particular one who inspires them to create, i.e.,  their 'muse.'  According to Wikipedia, the word 'muse' comes from  "the......nine goddesses in Greek mythology who control and symbolize nine types of art known to Ancient Greece, and are associated with artistic inspiration."  

Anyone familiar with my artwork will note that Playboy model Carlotta Champagne could qualify as my muse.  I first discovered her  on the industry site, OneModelPlace.com, in December 2005, and immediately noticed a classical grace and beauty in her not shared by many models.  She has an hourglass figure, a throwback to the Playmates of the 1950's and 60's, and a face that would inspire Renaissance artists.


Carlotta was very kind to allow me to use one of her images for my first drawing drawing of her, and she eventually agreed to a photo shoot in my rec room, photographed by my friend Rob Domaschuk.  The photo shoot has resulted in 2 completed drawings, plus the nearly finished one to the left.


I actually started this drawing at Glamourcon 2008.  While I am using the original photo as basic reference, I am taking some liberties with it to focus on Carlotta's face and breasts.  I am trying to create more contrast in this piece than I have done lately, and also attempting to stylize Carlotta's hair than normal.  What do you think?   Please drop a comment here or on my Facebook fan page

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I was just reading a post about portraiture at Terrell Neasley's blog, and he said it's the eyes and hair that first speak to him.

    In this drawing, it's the eyes that have it! They engage me immediately and begin to tell a story. You really captured her with the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, CJ. I always try to do pics where the model is looking back at the viewer, and the eyes are normally the first thing done in a drawing. They are important to engaging the viewer.
    Carlotta's eyes are what drew me in in this particular photo. Rob took a lot of her looking at the camera. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete