Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On Holiday Prints & Commissions

Every holiday season for the past couple of years, I have offered a reduction on my commission rates (or, for lack of a better word, a "sale").  That has made Christmas at the Wolff house a little busier than usual, and I have to thank my wife for allowing me the time to complete these sometimes numerous and massive projects.


While I love working for clients, commissions can be a double-edged sword.  Will the client be satisfied with my final work?  Can I make my deadlines?  I always try to keep my clients as happy as I can, but it can take lot of emails, phone conversations to make the best art possible.  There are different challenges that arise with commissions than those associated with my 'fun' work.  


Example of a client commission
So I am struggling with offering a discount this year for the holidays.  I did order prints of 3 of my favorite pieces, which will be inexpensively priced.  But I realize that many people consider an erotic pin-up a wonderful gift to give. 


Your thoughts are appreciated!

6 comments:

  1. Shannon Sullivan--a FB friend :DNovember 4, 2010 at 11:12 AM

    yes I agree, just bought hubby a black and white print for the bedroom. I happen to enjoy her myself hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha Shannon, you devil...who is the model in the print?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Vincent. One of your pin-ups would be a great gift for a woman to put under the tree for a lucky guy! Goodness, it seems so early to be talking Christmas, but I guess it isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, C. I really appreciate the kind words.
    And yes, it does seem early to talk about Christmas, but every store around our area is set up for it already.....yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such is capitalism. But when it helps an artist, I am full of the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you SO much, C.
    And yes, did decide to reduce commissions for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete