Tuesday, December 7, 2010

From Photo to Art--Carlotta Champagne

This popular feature was actually started in my old email newsletters with this image of the wonderfully talented and beautiful Playboy model, Carlotta Champagne.  Since I use photos exclusively as reference for my artwork, I'm often asked how many changes I make to the original photo in the final drawing. 

There is no one answer; it really depends on what I want the final drawing or painting to look like.  Sometimes, except for some minor changes, the reference photo is very close to finished piece.  Very often, however, I make major changes from the original photo to create the illustration.  


Here is an example of how I made some major changes to a photo for a portrait of Carlotta.  The reference pic was taken by my good friend, photographer Rob Domaschuk, in my rec room.  On some of the shots, we set up Carlotta by my bar, posing with a fedora and one of my ties, to capture some whimsical nudes.



I fell in love with Carlotta's pose and expression, but I did not like the tie in this particular image.  Also, I didn't want a drawing of her next to a bar stool with that hat, as it just didn't fit the scene.  The hat reminded me of Indiana Jones' fedora, and it gave me the idea of what to do with the hand that was leaning on the chair.  The photo reference eventually turned into the art to the right.

To complete the drawing, I found some reference photos online of whips, and used my own hand to approximate the one holding the whip.  Then, the fun part--getting this drawing to look like the beautiful Carlotta!

I recently ordered some 13" x 19" photo prints of this piece, and they came out really well!  I still have the original drawing, too, and take to any shows where I happen to exhibit.






I enjoy posting these examples, and your feedback is always welcome, so feel free to drop me a line at vince@erotic-pinups.com, or on my Facebook Fan Page.

2 comments:

  1. How fascinating to see your starting point. AlexB did life modeling in Spain a few weeks ago, and the painter/photographer juxtaposed a photograph of Alex posing with his painting in a photo composite. You ought to do something like that. I think others find it an intrigue because we can see your artistry fully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carla....that is a good idea, if I could ever figure out how to do it! :)
    I like doing these because it shows the average viewer the process I go through to make the final piece. IT's often filled with angst and self doubt, but I am usually pleased with the final results

    ReplyDelete