Tuesday, November 22, 2011

On Models, TFP's and an Artist's Worth

Usually, when models start out in the industry, they do not charge money.  Rather, they will exchange services with the photographer in an arrangement know as Time For Prints (aka TFP, or Time for CD).   This is a way for them to build up their portfolios, without having to pay the photographer.  Once the model's portfolio is established, she will start charging for her time, and quite often will no longer do TFP, once established as a professional.

I am currently listed on several modeling industry sites, and I occasionally get requests from models to draw them.  Typically, it's something like, oh, I love your work, and I'd love for you to do one of me.  When I ask them if this will be a commission, or what the financial arrangement might be, the reply is very often, oh I just want one, it will look great, etc.   I find it humorous that many models want me to draw a portrait of them for free, when on their modeling site profiles they have this symbol displayed prominently:

Even though I use photos as my reference, it still takes me time, as an artist, to create a piece.   As it takes time for photographers and models to create the fantastic images that they display in their portfolios.  I don't necessarily have an issue with doing TFP artwork, but only under circumstances that I dictate.  Sometimes I want to add a piece to my portfolio, or sometimes I come across a model or image I feel will benefit me.  That's my prerogative, as it is the prerogative of the model to accept or decline TFP.

I have skills, and sometimes I charge for that skill, same as a photographer, or a plumber, or electrician.  What do you think?  I'd love some feedback on this.

6 comments:

  1. Vince, it's tough for me to comment on this. I consider myself a professional, but I am not a commercial or agency model. After working for fees for a short time, I decided to do this only for purposes of artistic expression. I model solely out of a desire to collaborate on the creation of visual art.

    I know models for whom the fees are a primary source of income, and they generally don't make enough money to pay photographers or other artists.

    I can see your point of view as well. I suppose you could post your non-TF policy and list your rates. That would clear up any misconceptions about trade work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thing is, Carla, I do have No Tfp at this time posted on MM, OMP, etc. I still get asked occasionally anyway.

    What gets me is the assumption that just need the tfp work, or that it isn't that hard to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think that is the assumption they make? I don't know what models say to you. The point I'm trying to make is that models get paid for use of their image, and they may love your work and be offering you their services as a trade. Perhaps they think you hire and pay models???

    I very much doubt they think you are a novice in need of Tfp. They may assume you pay the models to pose for or provide images for the work you draw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The majority of models who have contacted me seem to have made that assumption. Yes, some have offered a trade, or even a commission payment. But I do get more requests (or hints) to do one for free.
    And I'm not opposed to free...just on my terms. I jsut get the sense that many people think that I can create in just a couple of hours.

    And perhaps you're right, maybe they are offering up a TFP for me. But none have mentioned that thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog :)

    I also get offered to do them for free, people love the fact that you can draw them and thats all they need or want. All sorts out there and they're not all inocent girls they are world wise and just happy to help.. I don't ask though lol it's me who is tangled and thats something I need to work on being only 42 and all loool... Well anyway love your work keep it up and have a nice day :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Madame. I'm more irritated at those who assume that I'll just od it for free for them, adn i've gotten a few requests for that. Or when they see my prices, they think I'm high (I'm not).

    ReplyDelete