Tuesday, July 3, 2012

From Photo to Art--Carlotta Champagne (The Very First One!)

I just recently discovered that, in all the time that I've been doing this series "From Photo to Art," I have never featured one of my favorites---the very first drawing I did of popular Playboy model Carlotta Champagne.  it also represents one of the first drawings where I "removed" the model's clothing.





















I originally met Carlotta online though the modeling site OneModelPlace.com, and we met in person at Glamourcon Chicago 2006.  I remarked how much I liked this photo of her, and asked her permission to use it.  She said she co-owned the copyright with the photographer, Keith Seraphim, but if it was okay with him, she agree.  Keith gave his permission, and I set out to draw.

I absolutely loved Carlotta's hair and expression in this shot; she looked so relaxed and beautiful.  But since she is a nude model, I wanted to try something different, and what would be better than to place her naked in a hot tub?  It wouldn't be all that difficult, since she is wearing a string bikini in the reference photo, I really only had to recreate her breasts without the suit, and I had plenty of photo references for that.  The tricky part of this drawing was drawing the hot tub and the water, I was not familiar with the surfaces, and I had more trouble than I thought.

This art has proven to be one of my post popular pieces, and the original was purchased by a photographer not long after I completed it.  I've used it on my Erotic Pin-up & Illustrations business card, my Glamourcon placard, and frequently as an avatar.  It was also featured in Carrie Leigh's Nude (you can read about it here).   Since the original is now sold, I've often thought about redoing this piece, to correct some things that I believe could be improved.  Any feedback on that?


You can see Vincent Wolff's art on Fine Art America

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely wonderful! Especially, I love that shared copyright with the model. I wish more photographers and other artists would do this! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks CJ. The shared copyright is actually nice for me too, I really do like to get the cooperation and approval form all parties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful specimen of art work from photo to art. The two photographs are so identical that it is very difficult to differentiate one from another.

    ReplyDelete