Friday, August 31, 2012

Good bye, Facebook!

This week, I am saying good bye to my Facebook account, including my figure art fan page. There was no issue with Facebook, no crazy people anonymously reporting my nude artwork. This was strictly a personal decision, to honor a request made by my family to spend less time online and more time dealing with some issues.

I have mixed feelings about letting go of Facebook, yet I have to say that not being constantly tied to a keyboard & computer monitor will somewhat liberating.  Really, where have we come to in society where we can count hundreds of strangers as 'friends,' just because we all log into the same social network?  We used to be able to count our close friends on two hands, we would communicate with them by landline telephone, by writing notes or letters and dropping them into a mailbox, or by walking to their houses and chatting over coffee or tea.  Now, we send emails, or text messages, or pop into our social media accounts.  It all seems so ....impersonal.

I enjoyed reconnecting with old school friends and family on FB, but the time has come for me to reexamine many things in my life, and become more productive with my energy and time.  I have not given up creating artwork of beautiful women; the anchor image was taken just a week ago, and shows me working on the beautiful Playboy model Misty Dawn.   I hope to be finished in about a month (which will be about 8 years to the day when I started it). But my avenue for updating people about my art will be through this blog, my website on Fine Art America, and my occasional email newsletters (you can go to the top of my Fine Art America site, click on 'Subscribe,' and receive my emails).

Many thanks to all of your for following me over the years. God bless you all.

3 comments:

  1. Vince, I don't think you will regret this decision. Leaving Model Mayhem and deviantART were amazingly right decisions for me. I've had so much more time for my real life - to enjoy family and friends, yes, but also to enjoy nature, music, movies, just watching the world go by.

    As you know, I've kept the private blog, and I hope you will keep yours. It has been the most efficient way to stay in touch with the most important people. The blog is also a more substantive form of communication than the social network and art sites allow.

    Enjoy your precious time. "In the time of your life, LIVE!!!" (William Saroyan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, I'm kind of liking it. I was friends with too many people I didn't actually know, and it was getting to be a chore.
    And the people with whom I really want to be connected, I have their email addresses, or the phone numbers. It may hurt my art marketing, but somehow, I think I person 'liking' my page doesn't necessarily translate into a viable fan base, for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your style is rеally uniquе compaгed tο other fοlks
    Ӏ have read ѕtuff frοm.

    Mаny thankѕ foг posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I'll ϳust bookmark thiѕ web site.
    my page: vagina lips

    ReplyDelete