Friday, December 10, 2010

On Facebook and Censorship...Part 3

UPDATE:  After someone posted on a ModelMayhem.com thread that FB does specifically not allow implied nudes, I checked it out again....I did a more thorough search, and it is here, under General Guidelines, thrown in with excessive skin and cleavage.  So I stand corrected....to a point.


Recently, I have written about Facebook's extremely vague Terms of Service, specifically here  and more recently here.

Yesterday morning, I woke up to find over 20 Facebook Warnings in my email box, advising me that my images 'violated the Terms of Service, "  & were deleted.  (Note: more were removed today).   As I pointed out in the recent blogs, the Facebook Terms of Service are very vague...there are no clear definitions of nudity, & while all but one of my images had little white boxes on the naughty bits, down they came.


As a member of ModelMayhem.com, an industry social site, there are specific methods to contact site moderators with questions, complain about another member or an uploaded image.  There are very specific guidelines on what constitutes a nude (18+) image, and what will not be allowed.  Unfortunately, Facebook doesn't have such definitions.  Since Facebook is almost completely member-regulated, there is no 'due process.'  Any image can be reported by a member, and they will take it down.  No questions asked, no chance for the offender to appeal.  Done.


One of the basic tenants of the US Constitution is the right to face your accusers.  That is not possible at Facebook, unfortunately, and perhaps that is by design-----they can claim ignorance in such cases, especially with their vague Terms of Service.


As for me, I have decided not to fight Facebook, as there is obviously someone on my Fan Page that doesn't like my censored art nudes (ironic that he/she would join in the first place).  I have learned the hard way that Facebook is close-minded to the arts, so I instead will invite people to visit my art website at www.erotic-pinups.com.  It features most of my nude art with no censorship; I hope to have it revamped by early next year.

11 comments:

  1. I totally agree that they are numb to artists. I get grounded on there every week for networking to hard, for trying to ass too many fellow artists and galery owners, museums, etc. I cant even find a place to contact fb about the fact that i am not a hacker, so they should calm the eff down, but no, im not allowed to even send a message to anyone i dont already know and they deleted my friends requests that were out there in the world. PRETTY WRONG IF U ASK ME> and ive seen so many sluts on there showing more skin, with no need to imply. atleast you are doing classical nudes. wtf.
    jealousyjane@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I admit, it is NOT a site for artists, Sheila. I just wish that, even by finding the restrictions against implied nudes, they would define it more. or properly set up age restrictions on fan pages (I don't think they are there).

    ReplyDelete
  3. People have flocked to facebook to promote commercial pursuits, and facebook has provided the platform to do that. Once you have opened that door, you might feel some responsibility to treat members with respect and courtesy regarding their business use of the site. Facebook plans to take over the Internet, according to an article I read recently written by the man who launched the World Wide Web. Yet, it is a nameless, faceless mega site just like deviantART. I never thought I'd see the day businesses this overwhelmingly huge would declare they are not accountable to those who provide the numbers on which their profits are based. But I have seen it...twice...on facebook and on DA.

    I am sorry for your problems. I know how it feels to have artwork deleted and to have no one with a name to explain it to you, no appeal system, and often no idea why. I don't foresee a good future when a mega site, a business, treats its members/clients so callously. People seem to be so dependent on these sites that they keep quiet, don't rock the boat, don't complain, just heir entire account will be not be deleted.

    I hate the silence and sheepishness that accompanies these affronts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, CJ, thanks for your continued support......my initial anger and frustration has turned to resignation and a new sense of purpose. I am frankly more upset with some of the comments left to us on ModelMayhem..I thought a creative community would have more outrage.

    I am using this as a learning opportunity which should appeal to the professor in you! lol FB doesn't like these images, fine (although saying sex product advertising is okay to 18+...hmmmm....). I want to concentrate on MY site, and hopefully FB will meet the same fate as MySpace. A fitting end, don't you think

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do. I need to check out these MM comments. Do you have a link?

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=651327&page=2

    good debate going...and although I was misinformed re: the nudity policy, it does beg the question...why can't it be easy to find?
    and they took more down over the week-end, my 'questionable' profile pics. Man, I hope they are done!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The "they" would be the "friend" who keeps reporting you. Nothing excuses this citizen reporting system.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vince, I see that I left that thread when people started telling me they had a right to assault a guest who visits their home and doesn't "behave." They clearly are ignorant and violent people, so we can't expect them to worry about something as abstract as freedom of expression.

    I have commented on about three threads in my three years on that site and always regretted it. The comments on WHAT WE SAW TODAY are so intelligent and civilized. We have true debate there. I block people on deviantART who start up with me in comments, and I avoid MM threads like the plague.

    I'm glad you learned something from it, but for my own part, I am out of there. If someone tells me they are going to kick my ass literally, I don't go back for more. They're crazy people.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty wild comments on MM, aren't they? Especially from a 'creative' community who you would think would be more inclined to fight censorship.
    I can agree to disagree with people in a thought out, intelligent debate....not when there are sarcastic & flip comments used as 'arguments.' And I started that thread per a request from Gary! :)

    As for my 'fan,' it may be the ex employee, who knows...I did learn just now how to set the age restriction to 18+.perhaps that will help

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't find threats very charming either :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. threats aren't debatable......which is why some hide behind them

    ReplyDelete